Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, September 21, 2009

REMEMBERING

A few minutes ago, I forwarded a wonderful email of a Romanian newspaper columnist’s remembrance of the United States’ tragedy of 9/11 and I started remembering too. Someone told me one time that I dwell on the past because I remember things that were said or have happened. Yet, God has gifted me with remembering only the good, not the bad. He has allowed me to live all of my life, inside out, up and down, backward and forward. Some embarrassing moments of the past have no power over me, because I choose not to reinflict pain upon myself by rehearsing those sad or difficult times. Some people, recall over and over the most minor situations that have hurt them. They have become accustomed to the roll of victim and are afraid to lay it down or don’t know how. From that perspective, I encourage you to recall the good from your lives and lay day the difficult, hurtful memories. Make a list of all the happy times in the past, however long or short it may be. Then, think on those things when pain hijacks your thoughts. Better yet, give the pain to God. Mentally, wrap your pain in a beautiful package, tie it with a bright, colorful ribbon, and lay it at the altar of God. He will see your sadness as a wonderful gift and bless you by releasing you from that pain. Then dwell on that scene. Will you totally forget the hurt? Of course not. But, it will lose its power to bring you suffering and will replace the pain with the joy of having trusted the Lord our God. Let us pray:

“Our loving father, how magnificent is your name. The very utterance of the word, God, can calm our fears, drive out our anger, and heal our pain for those who believe it is so. Oh God and Father, on this very day, I am placing all my pain, anger, and fear in this lovely white box. It is both sturdy and holy, Father, and I know it is strong enough to contain all the bad things of my life. I now put a lid on the top and wrap it tightly with golden ribbon with splashes of flowers and joy. With your power, I can pick up my package, willingly offered, and carry it to the altar of your love and lay it down at your feet. I can feel your blessings falling all around me like diamonds from your treasure of gifts, and know I can turn my eyes toward you and away from the gift I have just given you. How very amazing that you could possibly see my junk as your jewels, but you do. For that mystery, I thank you and give you all praise, glory, and honor. In the precious name of your son, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen”

Doris
“Copyright 2009 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D.
“God gives us stories that testify to his love. Let me tell you mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment