Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, June 20, 2011

SUNBURN ON A CLOUDY DAY

“See that cloud there? I bet that one has rain in it,” I told my two granddaughters as we set out on a beautiful Sunday to watch the girls’ older brother play baseball. “Would you get Maggie’s blanket from the car?” I asked my husband. The sky overhead was gray and completely covered with clouds of rain. But, the rain never came. We could have missed the game and stayed home in fear that we would get wet, or we could have sat on the bleachers and grumbled and mumbled about a down pour that never happened. Or, we could have enjoyed the game and each other’s company. And, you know what? The sun was there all along. I came home with a sunburn.

Why do we only see God’s blessings when our prayers have been answered in the way we have placed our order? God is always there blessing us, shining on us and loving us. If we see a cloud, we say, “Oh no, where is God? Why isn’t he blessing me?” We are not in control of God and he is not our genie in the jug. We cannot rub his tummy and watch him perform for us. He gives us what we need, not what we want. God blesses and we receive, blessed be the name of the Lord. Let us pray:

“Father God, Holy One of Life, glory be your name. May your kingdom come to live within me—I in you and you in me. Father God, I ask to have eyes that see your blessings all around me and words that can bear witness to those blessings. We are the only ones who can testify to your love and your existence, for you do not defend yourself. You simply are. Forgive me when I have held my tongue and have not spoken up for you. Sometimes, I am more concerned with what others may think of me rather than your constant and abiding love. At every turn, the world tries to erase your name from the books of man. Let me be strong so that their efforts are not successful. Holy, holy, holy are you God our Father. I will sing of your glory every moment I can, with your presence that strengthens me. In the precious name of your son, our Lord and redeemer, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen”
Doris
“God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2011 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment