Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, August 5, 2013

THE WALL

"I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one." Ezekiel 22:30 (NIV)

"I have a rock over here that might fit in that hole," Bill called from our yard across the street.

The two hired Amish men, in their round black hats and handmade shirts and pants, came over and studied the rock. "It looks like it could have come out of that empty spot in the wall." They thanked him and carried the stone over to the beautiful fieldstone wall of St. Felix Friary, built by the Capuchin Friars in 1928.

I love to sit and watch the changing light on the rough surface of the stones. One night when I couldn’t sleep, I came downstairs to write a little on my laptop. As I neared the foot of the stairs, a thought popped into my head, "Look at the deer."

What deer? I went to the windows in the front door and waited a second. Eight graceful long-legged deer leaped and danced along the side yard from the back. They bounded into the street until they came to the wall, then they stopped. They looked at the wall, to the left and right. Finally, they walked a few yards along the wall and through the open gate, like polite visitors to a lovely meadow. Then, they leaped in rhythmic ballet form across the meadow to the small woods beyond. There is a blessing in everything if you will view it with eyes that expect to see bucks and does.

I thought about the graceful deer and the majestic wall and remembered Ezekiel 22:30. God looks for those who are willing to build up the wall and become part of it - to stand in the gap. That position of protection is not just between our family and the world, but also to intercede (pray) for those who are in danger out there, that the Lord God will bless them, keep them safe, and welcome them into His heavenly family. God has looked for wall-standers in former times and found none. Are you willing to stand in the gap on behalf of your loved ones? Let us pray:

"Father God, Lord of all and even me, holy and precious is your name. Too often I forget the power of your name and refrain from calling on you when someone is in need, or I use it frivolously. Holy, holy, holy are you. May I remember that I dwell in the light of your presence at all times. Today, may I see my place on the wall, as I lift stones of love and joy and peace into place and then stand in the gap to pray for those beyond the wall. Forgive me when I fail to see the simple pattern in the artful placement of the stones and think that my design is far better, only to have to pick up the crumbled rubble once again. May I find my place in the gap and pray unendingly, day and night. In the name of Jesus, your son and our redeeming brother I pray. Amen:

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."
Copyright 2013 Doris Gaines Rapp
Events: Saturday Sept 14, 2013 1pm - Book Signing at Barnes & Noble, Ann Arbor, MI
Friday Sept. 20, 2013 7:00 pm - Book Signing at Barnes & Noble, Valporaiso, Indiana.

www.dorisgainesrapp.com

 

1 comment: