Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, November 11, 2013

VETERAN'S DAY

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:10-12 (NIV)

"The night sky is clear and every glorious star is visible. But, James Rapp is not sitting on his front porch in the crisp evening air. And, the air quality is not as pure as it is in Indiana or even the space above the distant mountains. Military personnel are burning the base’s crap with diesel fuel and the air hangs heavy with black soot, smoke and burning waste. At 5:30pm on August 31, 2012 it is 106 degrees in his tent with the A/C open wide and the fan at full speed. James is far from home, embedded with the Marine’s in Afghanistan. It is hot as hell and nasty flies circle around his sweaty skin. The showers have been shut off and he has only a few bottles of water and packages of baby wipes sent from home to clean the sand and dust from his body." (From Holding on the Sand)

We at home have no idea of the sacrifices our military family endures in far away places. We can read the words, but have no experience in our own lives to compare it to. On this Veteran’s Day, we thank all who have served in our place and for our sake in distant lands.

There is also a different kind of warrior, one who must stand up against the evil that is around us. On this Veteran’s Day, have the courage to speak out against injustice; speak truth to lies; stand up for the broken, weak and those in need of a friend. That is so small a sacrifice. Care not what others may call you. Only speak love so that the voice you hear is the One who calls you Home. Let us pray:

"Father, God, Dear Hound of Heaven, I slow in my fleeing pace to let you catch my soul. You are the only one whose opinion of me I cherish. Fill me with your love and strength that I may speak out for those who need a voice, and stand up for those whose message has been trampled on. May I be a warrior in your army of saints who stand for you and yours. Forgive me when I have held my tongue for fear of my own reputation. Some will have no voice if I do not speak for them. Give me your grace and love that I may pass them on, in full measure, to those around me. In the name of Jesus, your son and the Captain of my soul, I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."
Copyright 2013 Doris Gaines Rapp
Holding on to Sand available at www.directbuybooks.com
www.dorisgainesrapp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment