Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, May 19, 2014

God Calling

"I will listen to what God the LORD says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants-- but let them not turn to folly." Psalm 85:8

Ding, ding, ding. Yesterday, while I rooted in my purse with the car door open, the familiar warning, "The door’s open. The door’s open. The door’s open . . . ding, ding, ding . . ." served to annoy. I got in the car, closed the door and smiled. I wondered if God tries to get our attention as much as our car door does. Then I thought, Of course He does.

When He calls us to a task we don’t want to do, or feel ill prepared for, He may even annoy us. When He calls and we prefer to focus on the playthings around us - the folly - I imagine it saddens Him. For, if we listen to Him, He promises us peace.

Try something: the next time your phone rings or your car door dings, imagine it’s God calling. One of my phrases applies here. What you do not naturally do, you must deliberately do. If your mind and heart tend to wander from Him, use an auditory cue to deliberately focus on Him. When you hear a ding, invite his peace to enter your life and fill it to overflowing. Let us pray:

"Dear father of peace and love and life, I bow before your awesome power. You bring your own peace to those who listen to you. Your peace is so much more than I can strive for on my own. I know I cannot earn it, Father. It is your gift to your faithful servants. I choose to listen to you today and, with my faith, I claim your peace. Forgive me when I have not learned from my mistakes and have chosen folly. I have accepted trinkets in trade for Manhattan Island all over again. This is the day when I choose to listen and receive your peace. In the name of Jesus, your son and my Savior I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

I will be signing Smoke from Distant Fires at Barnes and Noble, Sarasota, FL, June 21 1-2pm
Website: www.dorisgainesrapp.com
Facebook: Doris Gaines Rapp - Author Page

No comments:

Post a Comment