Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Family of God

"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God's people and also members of his household - (you are members of God's family [NLT]), having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit." (Ephesians 2: 19-21 NIV)

"I’m so glad I’m a part of the family of God," the Gaithers wrote in their song by the same title. We don’t all wear the same tee shirt that says, "God’s Family Member," like we’re attending a large family reunion and each "clan" is identified by the patriarch or matriarch heading it. Come to think of it that sounds nice. "I’m one of God’s family. I belong to the Jesus Clan."

Yesterday, my husband Bill (the pastor of sweet country church) was sick. On Saturday, not a word came out of his mouth. By Sunday, he could squeak. However, not even a well-placed lapel microphone could have picked up his message. So, Sunday morning I asked for volunteers to give prayers, bless the offering, and lead the choruses and hymns before the time of the "message." Then, for the-word-of-God-from-the-people-of-God, I stood in the pulpit and facilitated an expression of love. The congregation was asked to read their favorite scripture and, if they would like, tell why that passage meant so much to them. I read the scripture printed in the morning’s bulletin. Then, eight of our church family gave testimony-through-scripture about God’s presence in their lives through the words He had written on their heart.

What is your personal witness to the work of God in your life? You are the only one who can tell it, and there are those out there who are longing to hear it. Won’t you speak up and speak out, becoming a witness for the Lord our God? Let us pray"

"Holy Father, your family has spread your word around the world. Your children worship in churches, homes and under trees everywhere. May this be the time you bring your kingdom to earth, so we, like the angels in Heaven, may dwell with you. Abba, I hear you calling me to bear testimony to your love, forgiveness and salvation. Your children everywhere are threatened by a secular vision that is trying to kill your message of Love. Extremists are demanding that we hush our voices and sing songs of self, rather than melodies of your love. Forgive me when I have remained silent and give me the courage to speak up for you. Let this be the day when I say or do something for someone who needs your words and touch. May I not know who it was, when it happened or under what circumstances it happened, because I do not wear Glory well. All honor and praise and glory go to you and my blessed redeemer, Jesus Christ, your son, my brother within your family. It is in His name, and by his power, I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine." Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

Prayer Therapy of Jesus will be available on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com by the end of the week. It will be on Cokesbury.com soon after.

Waiting for Jesus in a Can’t Wait World - Advent 2014, is now available at www.amazon.com, www.cokesbury.com, www.barnesandnoble.com and others. This Advent devotional uses the Prayer Therapy of Jesus in prayer formation.

No comments:

Post a Comment