Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, January 11, 2010

SNOW

I can stop complaining about the snow. According to Suite101.com, snow is “vital to the Winter survival of plants and trees as snow acts as an insulator and protects the plant from harsh, Winter conditions. Snow flakes have a unique structure; snow flakes have small intervening spaces within their structure which are filled with air. This means there is low heat conductivity; as a result, the daily temperature penetration into the snow is minimal and plants are protected from frost and freezing conditions. Once the snow melts, the moisture is also good for the plants.”

Alas and forlorn, an insight has hit me. I find myself complaining about a lot of blessings . . . like snow. I need a little extra money right now and out of the blue, I’m offered a part-time job I had never even thought about. Then, I complain about all the extra time and energy the job will take if I accept it. The reality of our walk with God is, with all the blessings God gives us, the responsibility of seeing them through comes with them. Let’s try to find a way to reframe our self-messages, making blessings out of the consequences, as well as enjoying the shinny stuff. With the snow comes the shovel. With the shovel can come complaints or more blessings: burned calories, a little time alone with God, a breath of fresh air, time to create that next great novel or invention, or an opportunity to form the words necessary to talk to someone you’ve needed to communicate with. Let us pray:

“Oh loving Father God, creator of the sparkling snow flake and the billowing wave, how precious is your name and all that you have created. I find that I want to accept your blessings but not the work that supports them. Forgive me when I have wanted to be a taker and not a giver. You are alive on the whisper of love and there when I am called to love others. May I accept the responsibilities that go along with the many, many blessings you have given me. May I never forget that I do not toil alone. You are always there with me as I shovel, type, make phone calls, and work the blessings you have given me. The blessings are just the labels. The greater blessing is in the work that goes with them, for that is where I will find you. In the name of Jesus Christ, your son and my savior I pray. Amen”
Doris
Copyright 2010 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D.
“God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment