Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, January 20, 2014

AThree-Note Rapper

“Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.” Psalm 100: 1-5 (KJV)

Yesterday, my Sunday morning wake-up call was the Christian radio station, playing a contemporary praise song. I love the wonderful choruses that bury the precious words in my heart. Still, I would encourage composers to create real melodies, rather than one-note rap songs. While Christian Rap has some great lyrics, there are no melodies that bore their way into the seat of the soul.

There is a neurological phenomenon called, The Mozart Effect. Research studies found that Mozart’s Sonata K.448, decreased epileptiform activity in those with epilepsy. It seems to bring into balance the left and right hemispheres of the brain. There may be debate on those findings but those who report improvement, testify to the effect.

Certain musical note progressions seem to have the power to settle the mind and lift the soul to God. Songs with only three or four notes, while the words may be a real blessing, are not attached to melodies that cause the heart to sing them over and over. Find a musical theme that represents you and your life. Let those be real melodies that allow your soul to soar.

I often wake up in the morning, still singing songs I must have been singing in my sleep. They usually stay with me all morning, and sometimes all day. Three-note wonders would not be able to do that, since there aren’t enough tones to form a theme. Find melodies that stir your soul and bury them in your heart. What is your theme song? Let us pray:

“Holy Father, your words are the very song of songs. May your kingdom come to my life so that I can hear the songs the angels sing as I go about my day. May today be the day I listen to the music all around me: the harmony in a mother’s lullaby, the sweet silent song of love between couples who have been married for many years, and the rhythm of a peaceful day. Most of the time, I am too busy complaining to hear the songs around me, and then I miss the song of songs. Forgive me for making noise instead of music. Attach my heart to themes that set my soul free to meet you in the music room of heaven. In the name of Jesus Christ, the one who set the whole world singing, I pray. Amen”
Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

Escape from the Belfry is available at Cokesbury: www.cokesbury.com, www.archwaypublishing.com bookstore, www.amazon.com and www.b&n.com and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment