Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I TRACE THE RAINBOW THROUGH THE RAIN

"But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation." Psalm 13:5 (ESV 2001)

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.*

Most of us see our pain as a curse, something that God should not allow. Yet our composer, Mattheson, recognized that pain and sorrow and adversity are opportunities to practice trust, trust in our Lord God. Problems can be passports to a closer walk with God and can be embraced as a blessing when we are not wrapped up in our own self pity.

A friend from a different time and place told me about her Aunt Woe. She said the dear woman would often say, "Woe is me." Finally, all the woman’s nieces and nephews began to call her "Aunt Woe."

How are you known by those around you? Sadly, I have to admit that I can be a complainer but I hope I am not totally defined by that tendency. I would pray that my complaints could be turned into signposts for praise. Every time I hear myself complain, I pray that I would recognize that as my cue to give praise and to seek the strength of God and the help of others.

Don’t kick yourself too hard for your negative attitude. We cannot change a behavior until we recognize we are doing it. When you complain, negate that thought with a praise—don’t entertain it with a pity-party. Let us pray:

"Father God Almighty King of all that is good, I praise your holy name. May your kingdom of love come into my life that I may speak only your words for others to hear. I ask you Father to forgive my wandering thoughts that dig in little muddy pits of the soul and set my mind on You. Forgive me when I complain rather than call on you to walk through the hard days with me. May my words speak love songs to you so that others may see you more clearly. I love you Lord and you alone do I want to magnify. In the name of Jesus, your Son and my Lord I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."
Copyright 2012 Doris Gaines Rapp

*Oh Love That Will Not Let Me Go
George Mattheson 1882 Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment