Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, July 22, 2013

VALUABLE FAMILY AND FRIENDS

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, . . ." Philippians 2:3 (NIV©2011)

What a wonderful time we had! I had chosen a white top with a white lace under-piece for the July weather to wear at my book signing at Barnes and Noble in The Shoppes at Beavercreek in Ohio last Saturday. I thought I looked both professional and unpretentious. It would be a great day!

My husband and I arrived early so we could check out the setting and have a bite to eat. The event was to start at 1:00 p.m. and we hadn’t eaten since 8:00 a.m. I ordered a banana muffin and a small café mocha. Of course the coffee drink was really hot so I removed the lit to let it breathe. When I was ready to test the temperature, I replaced the lid, tipped it up and poured it right down the collar of that nice white outfit! Ah yes, that vain conceit part of our verse above came to warm me with chocolate. It seems I am invariably reduced to a level low enough for conceit to sneak in when I over-plan. I went into the restroom and doused my shirt front with cold water and down my neckline. The Lord was good to this silly woman and not much showed.

The story doesn’t stop there, however. It is the second part of the Philippians verse that had the most meaning for me—"value others above yourself." What a wonderful visit we had with family and friends who showed up for the signing! People are the true treasure. When loved ones lift up and value what you do, that is a blessing the Lord would understand.

When we lift up and value the people and work God places in our extended territory, we honor him. How could he not bless the experiences he gives us? Blessed be the name of the Lord. Let us pray:

"Father God, how very precious is your name and the names of those we love, for we know you love them more. Heaven will be full of all these saints yet we are privileged to be among them here on earth. For today, we ask that you richly bless our family members whose names you already know, and the friends that join us in your world. We also ask for the grace to love others into fellowship with you, for each soul is a part of your own heart. Forgive us when we turn away from one of your children. We may be the only believer they know, so our cause is sacred. Thank you for making yourself real to us. Let the light of your eyes shine through us that we may touch others for your sake. In the name of Jesus, your son and our savior, we pray. Amen"

Doris

"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."
Copyright 2013 Doris Gaines Rapp

Saturday Sept 14, 2013 1pm - Book Signing at Barnes & Noble, Ann Arbor, MI
www.dorisgainesrapp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment