Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, December 27, 2010

INTENTIALLY ATTEND in the NEW YEAR

“That reminds me of Eddie Cantor and his song about his wife, Ida,” Pastor Bill said.

Ida, sweet as apple cider. My head found a musical path and off it went. Let’s see, it ended . . . I love ya, Ida, deed I do. Then I wandered over to another Cantor song, Toot, toot Tootsie, goodbye. Toot toot, Tootsie, don’t cry. As Pastor Bill continued, I discovered that he was talking about paying attention to life so we don’t miss any part of what is truly precious.

The problem for me was, Americans speak at 125 words per minute in normal conversation. A speaker usually slows down to 100 words per minute so the audience or congregation can follow. My problem that morning was everyone’s problem. We hear at a rate of about 400-500 words per minute, more than enough time to sing another refrain of, If you knew Susie, like I know Susie.

Attending is a deliberate act, not a passing fancy. With every word or sentence spoken by Pastor Bill, I repeated them in my own mind, truly listening and carefully planting them in my heart. That is what we are called to do.

For 2011, let us intentionally attend–deliberately listen–to every good thing God has for us. Can you imagine racing past diamonds strewn along the path, and ignoring them, to reach the red plastic prize at the end of the road? It’s not the goal that is important. It’s the life lived while traveling toward it. Don’t miss one glorious moment of 2011. The only real life, is the life lived in the moment, all else is preparation or memory. Live every minute of 2011, deliberately listening to The Voice–who only speaks to us in the moment. Let us pray:

“God and father of all, holy is your name. Your precious, yet mighty voice, I hear. Your Christmas child, the Christ, I just celebrated. Now what? I pray that I might see his sweet smile and glowing eyes in the faces of my children and friends. I ask to hear him whisper love, which I may pass it on to others. Let me remember to repeat your words in my mind and heart, so that I may plant them there and grow food to share. Forgive me when I have not slowed down enough to hear you call my name–what melodies I have missed while singing my own song. I dedicate this New Year of 2011 to you, Father God. May I be present with you each moment of every day that I may be open and ready to hear your words of love and charity. In the precious name of the God Child, Jesus, I pray. Amen.”
Doris
Have a Blessed and Abiding New Year!

“God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2010 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D.

Order Prayer Therapy Primer, by Doris Gaines Rapp, at www.bn.com. An eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment