Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, April 11, 2011

I Thank MY GOD FOR YOU

Friday’s drive was a beautiful escape from the business we have had. Richard Paul Evans novel, The Walk, entertained us from the CD player. I had read the book a year ago and had just bought the next in his three-book series, Miles to Go, and was glad for the refresher. We were not walking, however. We were driving to the Midwest Missions Distributions Center, just south of Springfield, Illinois, to take the last of the Health Kits for Japan that had been collected by United Methodist Women and their supporters in Indiana. Our Conference president had already taken a full car load over and my husband, Bill, and I delivered the last 187 pounds of tooth paste, wash clothes, and other items to fill the Health Kits. Seventeen-thousand kits had already been packed and loaded and readied for shipping. Our contribution would begin to restock the shelves for the next shipment.

Those of you familiar with UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) have helped gather supplies for “flood buckets.” Shelves that stretched to the ceiling were loaded with unglamourous flood buckets, ready for the next flood, hurricane, or other disaster. We walked through the building and viewed the supplies. In my mind I saw the blessed faces of all those who had wrapped band-aids in rubber bands and found just the right size comb to meet the requirements.

I do not know of one person who contributed because “it was expected.” I have never heard anyone say, “What will people think if I don’t do my part?” The kind faces and spirit-filled smiles I envisioned were of folks who gave because the call came forth that there were those in need. Nothing more need be said. For all that you do in the name of Jesus Christ, I thank my God for you. Let us pray:

“Almighty father, the giver of all that is good and right, I praise your holy name. May your kingdom come in the fullness of time and find none of us sleeping. I thank you, Father, for all your humble servants who work unceasingly behind the scenes and not in the light of praise. May they be aware of the vital tasks they do for you. We are all missionaries for the cause of Christ, those who go and preach and teach and heal the wounded body and soul, and those who wait upon you by supporting those who go. Each task is equal in your sight for the goal of both is the same, that the light of Jesus Christ may shine in dark places. I pray that we may see your work before us and embrace it with vigor and love. In the name of Jesus Christ, your son, I pray. Amen”
Doris
“God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2011 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment