Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, September 19, 2011

THE HIDING PLACE

On Monday, 6 July 1942, Otto Frank moved himself, his wife and two daughters, Margot and Anne, into a secret apartment above his business in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, to escape persecution by the Nazis. My husband and I have walked up the narrow steps behind the bookcase in Mr. Frank’s business. Perhaps you have too. Anne’s story was revealed to the world in A Diary of a Young Girl.

In May 1942, a well-dressed woman approached Casper ten Boom and asked to be hidden, out of the reaches of the Nazi’s that occupied Holland. The story of the Hiding Place was later told by Casper’s daughter, Corrie. Many of us have read the details of their providing a safe haven for “the apple of God’s eye,” as Mr. ten Boom had described his Jewish neighbors.

Where is your hiding place and what are you hiding? Are you providing a safe place for those who are persecuted, those who are ill in body or spirit? Or, are you hiding in your secret place from God?

“I don’t talk about my faith with other people. I might offend someone.” Have you ever heard anyone say those words? I have. Good, faithful church goers have said these and similar words about hiding Christ from their bridge club friends, their ball team, classmates, or other activities outside the stained glass sanctuary of their church.

But remember, we cannot hide from God. And, when we try, as we protect the sensibilities of others, we offend the heart of God. The hiding place is a refuge for the persecuted, not a secret place to store God until we attend church the next time. Make your hiding place a sanctuary for children, battered women, or lonely, bullied young men, not a place to bury your faith until you’re alone in your prayer closet, praying to a God who must be hidden. Let us pray:

“Holy Father, my own true God, I bow before your precious name. I pray that your kingdom may come on earth, where your love is shared with all, at a time of your choosing. For this day, Father, I ask for the courage to open wide the door that leads to my hiding place. May I recognize and embrace those who need refuge, while letting your light and love, that I have buried there, shine for all to see. Forgive me when I have mistakenly protected myself by denying you to the world around me. Give me the strength and insight to see those in need, while revealing your heart to them. I commit myself to being your witness to the world, by testifying to the blessings, both small and large, that you have bestowed on me. I ask that your son, Jesus Christ, walk with me along the way that leads home, and that all glory be given back to you. Amen”
Doris
“God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2011 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder that it is in our telling our personal story that it "is NO secret what God can do!"

    ReplyDelete