Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, January 6, 2014

SNOWED IN

“Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?”  (Matthew 6:26 - NIV)

The snow is about twelve inches deep here at our house. We are safe and warm inside. I remember the great ice storm that hit our area about five years ago. Transformers burst all over town and downed power lines left us without heat, or TV reception to monitor the progress of the storm. Yet, we survived. Our grandson and his little family, who lived in our basement at that time, went to spend the day at the baby’s Grandma’s house. We went to the library and then to our daughter and son-in-law’s house for a warm dinner. Like the birds of the air, the Lord God found ways to provide food, warmth and shelter for Bill and me. Even Mother Goose had it right.

“The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then, poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn and keep himself warm
and hide his head under his wing, poor thing.”  (Mother Goose)

We are not promised gold or riches beyond our greatest wishes and dreams. But, we are promised food, shelter and rest for our souls.

Think of the robin. He is not promised a three-story bird house, with hot and cold running water, hardwood floors and a marble birdbath. Mother Goose wisely taught that he is given shelter from the storm and food that the Father in heaven provides.

Stay warm, my friends. Know that the Lord knows your state and will provide your needs. Let us pray:

“Father God, your holiness fills my icy day and makes me feel your warmth. May I realize your kingdom here in my safe, ice-covered shelter, or celebrate your presence if I have sought refuge from the storm away from home. May this be the day when I find you in every tiny corner of my life, guiding me to the work you have for me, and leading me to embrace those who need your touch. May I finally realize that my life is not about me; it’s about you, and how I bear witness to your work in the world by testifying to your blessings in my life. May I finally realize that a true mega-lottery win, is discovering your dear face in everyone I meet. In the name of Jesus Christ, your son and my savior, I pray. Amen
Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

Escape from the Belfry is available at Cokesbury: www.cokesbury.com, www.archwaypublishing.com bookstore, www.amazon.com and www.b&n.com and others.

Website:  www.dorisgainesrapp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment