Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, August 10, 2015

Go Then . . .

Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works. Let your clothes be white all the time, and let not oil be lacking on your head. Enjoy life with the woman [or man] whom you love all the days of your fleeting life which He has given to you under the sun; for this is your reward in life and in your toil in which you have labored under the sun.”  Ecclesiastes 9: 7-9

“It’s time for the World’s Longest Yard Sale,” I reminded my husband with excitement. I had wanted to go to this opportunity to buy a lot of what I really didn’t need for a long time. I would watch the highlights on HGTV later each fall.

Truly, it is the world’s longest yard sale. It’s 690 miles long and follows Route 127 through six states: Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama.

“Hey, Doris, didn’t you have back surgery in May? Aren’t you still using a walker and rest frequently?”

“Yes,” to both questions. But, I spent the day my way, with a cheerful heart. I didn’t moan because I couldn’t do it all. I rejoiced that I could do it at all.

What was my style? I didn’t sit at home. Last Saturday I “went,” following the “go then . . .” instruction in Ecclesiastes. Bill, Katy and I drove over to Decatur, Indiana and had a wonderful lunch at the Back Forty Junction, a fantastic buffet of more food than I could even taste. As I looked around the dining room I saw it was not too much for some who carried two plates of the main course, plus salad, a cheese and bread saucer, and desserts piled high. I tried not to stare.

Then, we crossed the Ohio line near Van Wert and stopped at half-a-dozen booths, roughly one-eighth of a mile long out of the 690 miles in total. Was I disappointed? No - I was tired! We ate our bread in happiness, drank our coffee and cola with a cheerful heart, in clean clothes and combed hair. Most important, we enjoyed life with the ones we loved.

No one can tell another person what portion of a yard sale is “enough:” enough joy, enough sunshine, enough food or enough love. For some, there will never be enough. Others find “enough” in an unfolding rose bud, the warmth of a setting sun, the smiles of those around them and the loving sacrifice of their Lord. Let us pray:

“Dear Lord and God of bounty and plenty, Holy is your name. You are my all in all - enough of all there is to satisfy the most restless soul. Fill my life with your magnificent love and beauty. Let this be the day when I realize that my cup has been running over all the time. I have been too greedy to notice, always wanting more, never satisfied with what you have given me. How could I possibly say that your gifts are not good enough or big enough? Forgive me, Father, for being your ungrateful child. May your light shine so brightly all around me that I cannot help but see all of your blessings and be grateful for them. In the name of Jesus, your son of light I pray. Amen”
Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2015 Doris Gaines Rapp

No comments:

Post a Comment