Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, February 25, 2013

THE WALK TO THE CROSS

"And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple." Luke 14: 27 (NIV ©1984)

We are well into lent, just five weeks until Easter. Have you taken the time to reflect on the enormous sacrifice Jesus made on your behalf? What have you been willing to sacrifice for him?

What if Jesus had said, "Sorry, Father, I am really busy right now. For one thing, my mother needs to be cared for. And, I have thousands of people to feed and there are many to heal everywhere I go. I can’t end my earthly ministry in five weeks. It will take longer than that to turn the work over to my followers. And, they really aren’t ready. Look how impulsive Peter can be. And, Judas, he doesn’t understand my message at all!"

I imagine we have all used similar excuses. We believe in Jesus as the son of God and every word written about him down to the last dot and dash. But, giving up our own personal goals and taking on the ministry God has called us to, is a whole other life than what we have carved out for ourselves. True living begins when we step into the will of God our father.

Ministry does not always mean a calling to the clergy. Ministry is the work God has for us to do that furthers his plan for the world, at least in our corner of the neighborhood. Now is the time, as we walk toward Easter carrying our own cross, to accept the precious, beautiful life he has always had waiting for us—but, in the past, we have been too busy to bend and pick it up. Let us pray:
"Holy Father, Love Devine, you want to save this life of mine. Let this season of preparing my heart for Easter, be the time I finally realize that my true and perfect life isn’t mine anyway. Take this independent life I hold onto so fervently and use it to your glory. May I never believe that my ministry is all about me. If it is not all about you, God, it isn’t ministry; it is ego building and attention seeking. Forgive me for how long it has taken me to accept so great a jewel as my life lived for and with you. In the name of Jesus, your son, whose steps along the Via Dolorosa I choose to follow, I pray. Amen."

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."Copyright 2013 Doris Gaines Rapp

For children and teens, go to: http://inmyprayerchair.blogspot.com And . . .
https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Prayer-Chair/476665319066226
(copy and paste to address line if needed)

No comments:

Post a Comment