Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, February 10, 2014

Life's Olympics

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NIV)

The Olympics are being played now but this is not a discussion about hotel rooms in China or bathroom facilities. It is about you and me. Are we fighting the good fight and finishing the race? Notice, scripture does not ask if we won the race — if we’ve earned the gold? It asks merely if we finished the race, if we’ve fought the good fight.

There are some fights not worth fighting. That doesn’t mean you’ve lost that battle. It means it is not worth entering the contest in the first place. Some people will egg us on, trying to pick an argument. If there is no debatable point to be made, there is no debate. Let it rest!

We win more than a gold medal when we complete the work the Lord has given, when we have kept the faith. But our reward is far more precious than gold or silver. It is a crown of righteousness - a symbol that our race, our work that we have faithfully engaged in, is right in the eyes of God. Our job is to be obedient to the task, not first, not famous or revered. It is the doing, consistently through life — not being done, that is the work the Lord gives us. We finish the race when we cross the finish line and run into the arms of the Lord. Let us pray:

“Holy Father, designer of the course, the uniform and the spirit, we bow before your Holy name. May the race we run, be in complete synchronicity with your will. For today, may I not seek the gold, but love the light of your presence. Forgive me for each time I have placed fame over service, and trophies over treasure. Set my feet of the path that will lead me home. In the name of Jesus, my Lord I pray. Amen”
Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

Escape from the Belfry is available at Cokesbury: www.cokesbury.com, www.archwaypublishing.com bookstore, www.amazon.com and www.b&n.com and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment