Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, February 17, 2014

Sing a Song of Love

Our friend Paul, got himself into many difficulties, all for the cause of Jesus Christ. On his second missionary trip, he and Silas were preaching the Gospel and were arrested and beaten for their sharing of His love. But, they didn’t complain about the conditions in their jail cell. They spent their time “praying and singing hymns to God.” (Acts 16:25)

Would I have done the same? Honestly, probably not. I would have thrown the grandest pity-party the jailers would have ever seen.

“It’s too hot, or too cold.”
“My lazy boy chair is missing or occupied by a bigger and meaner inmate.”
“Can you believe it? There’s no Internet connection in this cell.”
“People in the corner, cry all night long and keep me awake. You know how I need my sleep.”
“Sing songs? Yeah-right.”
“Why should I pray? If God heard me, I wouldn’t be here in the first place.”

Paul and Silas may have lifted prayers of thanks for the amount of time they were able to preach before they were caught. Or, better yet, perhaps words of prayer and praise were always on their lips. It may be that songs of praise were buried so deeply in their hearts, they could not help but bubble out, no matter the adversity. Like Jesus said, “I tell you . . . if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” (Luke 19: 40) Are the words of Christ and songs of praise tucked deeply enough in your heart that they must sing forth even without thought, filter or planning? Let us pray:

“Holy Father, composer of the song of songs, we lift our voices to you. May our whole world be so full of angel songs that we are surrounded by their music every moment of our days. May the songs sink all the way to our inner being, so that our marrow boasts the “bone knowledge” of you. I ask this day, that you fill me with your love so fully, that all of me is pushed aside by all of you. Forgive me for the many times you have sung to me, but I preferred the world’s music. May the melodies of darkness, be heard no more. Let only the songs of light and life and love fill me so full, the lyrics and melodies overflow on all those around me. In the name of Jesus, the Christ, your son, I pray. Amen”
Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.”
Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

Escape from the Belfry is available at Cokesbury: www.cokesbury.com, www.archwaypublishing.com bookstore, www.amazon.com and www.b&n.com and others.

Website:  www.dorisgainesrapp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment