Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, August 4, 2014

A Quiet Thunder

"He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth.’" Psalm 46: 10

"Be still . . . ." Is it actually possible, in our time, to be still? When I think of all we do, regardless of age: work, school, sports, home, friends, church, family and . . . well you get the idea. To know God, we must first be still.

You can practice stillness by selecting a favorite Bible verse and meditate or focusing upon it for five or ten minutes. When the mind drifts off to the worries or tasks of the day don’t be concerned. Brush the thoughts away like a pesky fly and return to the holiness of God’s presence in His word. Be still . . .

. . . and know. The verse doesn’t say, "I think maybe there must be a god up there - somewhere." Or, "I wish it were true." It says, ". . . and know . . . that I am God." When we know that God is real, when we know that He is present, when we know that His promises are true, we become filled with His Holy presence. Others may not see the mountains in our life move or the lightening crack open the sky and let down a golden ladder into Heaven. But, there is a rolling thunder of the soul when the voice of God vibrates within our heart and brings all our melodies into perfect harmony with Him. Be still and know . . . . Let us pray:

"Father God, when you speak, your words are like the timpani of a song, the climatic roll of the kettledrum and its quiet beat that provides hope and constant measure, a rhythm to which we move. Holy is your name and precious is your beat of life. I choose this day to be still. I choose this day to know. I choose this day to allow the quiet thunder of your beating heart to measure my stride and give me life. Forgive me when I have walked cautiously along your paths. The only true walk is to the drumbeat of your melody, written and composed just for me. I pray that each of us may know you through the stillness of our lives. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."
Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

Hiawassee - Child of the Meadow - released today at your local bookstore or online at Cokesbury, Amazon (a little slow this morning), Barnes and Noble (on line missing cover) and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment