Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, August 10, 2009

GOD'S ECONOMIC RECOVERY

My friends, I believe we are in a period of economic recovery! Why! Not because my bank account is fatter. Perhaps yours is cash deprived as well. What I think we are recovering is a simplistic way of living in which we respect God’s resources, others and ourselves, and realize our rich economy is in lives saved, not dollars accumulated. I present to you two small concepts recovered from old wisdom: (1) Cell phones are not Kleenex. They don’t have to be thrown away immediately after use. (2) Sneakers are not opera slippers. They don’t have to be made of patent leather and cost more than the week’s groceries or Grandma’s medication.

There can be real joy and satisfaction in seeing how many miles your car can go before it dies of faithful service. Our minivan had 265,782 marathon miles under her hood before she finally limped off to die a noble death. Spend these new days creatively seeking ways to re-use the re-usable, and giving new life, in an altered form, to items worthy of continued service. It would be fun to hear from you regarding ways you’ve saved money by transforming the old into the revived, and thus having money to help a friend or neighbor in need. We honor God when we remember: People are more valuable than things!

Get creative about ways you can save in order to help your church and charities that are in desperate need of money during these tight times. Please, comment on this prayer therapy blog and let me know what you’ve done to inject fresh energy into tired objects, that you’re willing to share with others. I pray that your eyes will be opened to the opportunity buried in the dirt, like flowers sleeping in their bulbs, and ways to grow in a garden that seems to be full of weeds. God can cultivate our lives during this pruning season so we can emerge stronger for service, healthier for endurance, and closer to Him. Let us pray:

“Father, God, you are holy, holy. Just the mention of your sacred name and lives change. Someone can be damned or led to your glory when I speak of you. May your kingdom come to my life, just as it will in Glory, so I may only whisper God as a healing salve to those around me. I ask today, that you open my eyes to all the blessings you have given me. May I not erroneously believe that I deserve more because I am entitled to more things than another. Show me fun and creative ways to reuse what I already have, and share with others what I no longer need. Let me expand into extravagant generosity during these times. I ask that you heal our land so that it is strong enough to bless and support us all. Forgive me when I have been selfish, greedy, and have believed: buying things trumps giving myself and what I can share. I will rejoice in every way you show me how I can serve you by serving others. I will give you all praise and glory. In the name of your son, Jesus, my savior, I pray. Amen”
Doris
“Copyright 2009 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D.
“God gives us stories that testify to his love. Let me tell you mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment