Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Thursday, April 5, 2012

HIS LAST DAY

Mark 14:12-51   (Please read the entire passage. I have lifted up selected verses here.)
[12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus’ disciples asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"
13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 15 He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."

17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. 18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me."

19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, "Surely not I?"

22 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take it; this is my body." 23Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it. 24"This is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them. 25"I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of God."

26 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

27 "You will all fall away," Jesus told them, "for it is written: "‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’c 28 But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee."

29 Peter declared, "Even if all fall away, I will not." 30 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "today—yes, tonight—before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times."

32 They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33 He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34 "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch."

35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

37 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Simon," he said to Peter, "are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." 42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!" 43 Just as he was speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, appeared.]

His Last Day

We have taken a brief glimpse into the last hours of Jesus’ life before he was arrested. His last precious day with his beloved disciples. They shared a wonderful celebration meal - The Feast of Unleavened Later. They also drank of the first communion. Then, that same night, he asked his friends to wait while he prayed to be released from the torture that he knew was to come. Even big, fisherman-strong Peter fell asleep and later denied that he even knew Jesus.

Don’t you think Jesus will forgive us our limitations, we who did not break bread with him or walk the dusty roads by his side? After his followers were later filled with the Holy Spirit they became the disciples who built Christ’s church.

We too can become filled with the Holy Spirit when we ask the Lord to come into our lives. Think of the paths along which Christ will lead us, the people he will touch with our hands, the words of love and grace some will hear because we will give our voices over to the Lord. Let today be the day when we open our hearts to the Spirit of the living God. Let us pray:

"Father God, you are the all-in-all, the life we live, the Life there is. We praise your holy name. We ask you, Father, to fill us with your Holy Spirit and we thank you that our filling has already been complete as it is written in Mark 11 ‘whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.’ We will live each day, knowing we are redeemed and anointed by your Holy Spirit. Use us to participate in the completion of your will, for it is your will that we seek. In the name of Jesus, your son and our redeemer we pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine." 
Copyright 2012 Doris Gaines Rapp

Visit: www.lengthofdays2112.blogspot.com for fun stories.
Also: www.directbuybooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment