Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, September 8, 2014

In Its Time

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live." Ecclesiastes 3: 11 - 12 (NIV)

"I’m bored." How often have you heard that? I would like to experience boredom for about ten minutes, just to know what it feels like.


"I hate my job." At a time when many are underemployed or unemployed, if you have a job at all, thank the Lord and live happily while you wait for the next step of His plan. I know that is Pollyanna thinking for those of you who are holding the short end of the job-straw. If living unhappily and full of anger works better for you and your family, keep it up. If months full of anger doesn’t help your relationships and health, then change your attitude. You decide.


"Why can’t my luck change?" Luck? What does luck have to do with the eternity He has set in your heart? If you pray to God for His blessing, and then wish for luck from the Leprechauns, God may step aside and let you continue to seek help from your idols. Are you sure that’s the path you want to take? Do good each day and joy will come to you, a blessing far greater than luck. If God sat with you at every meal, would you still complain that all you had to serve was hamburger? If you do, you will have missed the miracles of every day.


"God makes everything beautiful in its time." An internship may lead to a full-time job. It will take the experience and time of the apprentice work to secure the coveted position. Years spent in graduate school will qualify you for the additional responsibility and enjoyment of a professional career. Time, energy and selfless love, invested in quality and quantity-time spent in a relationship, can yield a lasting marriage. I know the statistics are less favorable than any of us would want them to be. I cannot tell you that I have the magic answer to a long marriage. But, God does. It’s a choice, ". . . to be happy and to do good while [you] live."


We have the secrets of eternity in our hearts, not for power, success or control for us. That is why we do not know God’s work from the beginning to the end. But, our soul knows, the indwelling spirit of God knows, our essence knows. Let the presence and blessings of the Lord, rise to our surface like sweet cream from fine milk, so the blessings of this life become part of our daily experience, because He is buried in our being. Let us pray:


"Father God, creator of all that is beautiful from the beginning to whatever "end" you name, I bow before you. I am amazed that you can take that which is stale or disappointing or inadequate and make sometime beautiful out of it. For today, I ask that you take the lesser-things of my life and make of them the jewels in the crown of your glory. Let me see my burdens sparkle and shine in the light of your glory. Forgive me when I complain about the gifts you have given me. Let me see the beauty in all that is around me, so that I do not miss one blessing. I know, there are no small miracles. Each one has the power to expand in my heart and fill my life with joy. I pray to see your beauty — in the name of Jesus, your son and my savior. Amen"


Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp


Hiawassee - Child of the Meadow
Smoke from Distant Fires
Escape from the Belfry
Length of Days - The Age of Silence all four can be ordered from your local bookstore or online in print or eBook form. They are all also available at www.cokesbury.com.


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment