Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Monday, September 29, 2014

Touched by the Son

"While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!’ When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. ‘Get up,’ he said. ‘Don't be afraid.’ When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus." Matthew 17: 5-8

Have you noticed the trees? They look like they have been touched by God. Like, he reached down and kissed the tree tops and turned them to gold. His message to the disciples was, "Don’t be afraid."

For me, the message is reassuring. When I see the magnificent color of God’s late-September world, I cannot help but "fear" the snow of winter that will follow. Last winter lasted for nearly six months, as if God had decided to divide the seasons in half, rather than quarters. But then, I had to be thankful. If God himself had placed a different imprint on the world, one that spoke of his global cooling, and even reached down and kissed the earth with his own lips, there can be only good to follow, if I watch for it.

In our lives, God’s son also reaches down and touches our heart, releasing us from fear. Just like the leaves that turn to gold and crimson, our faces shine with his light when he kisses us. Are we wearing the evidence of his hand on us–a smile, a relaxed expression evidence of his peace, friendship and caring? Or, do we show fear on our faces, that the winter of our lives is coming along with the accompanying chill? When Jesus touches us, warmth is everywhere - wear the testimony of his love and grace on your face, regardless of weather, physical or emotional, around us. Let us pray:

"Father God, painter of the glorious masterpiece all around us, we soak in the colors of your blessings. Let, the whiteness of the winter ahead, represent your pure love, not the absence of color. Actually, we know that white is the presence of all colors of your artistic palate. Your name is holy and your presence is warm. May your kingdom come to my life and let me live within your blessed boundary. I ask that today be the day when I see your colors all around me. Each shade is a new blessing. Green is new life, gold–abundant living, crimson is the blood of Jesus, shed for my sins. Your love is splashed across the earth all around me, and all I seem to do is moan about the season to come. Forgive me Father. Let me live today in appreciation of the moment, for you have reached down and touched my world with wonder. In the name of your precious son, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp

This Saturday, October 4, 2014, I will be signing my books at Bread of Life Christian Bookstore in Greenville, OH from 11 AM to 1 PM. Location: 107 W. Main Street, Greenville, OH 45331. If you want a signed copy but cannot be there, call the store and order one between 11 and 1. I sign several titles:

Waiting for Jesus in a Can’t Wait World - Advent 2014. Available October 4!

There are two exciting features in this Advent book. Each day, beginning November 30, 2014, following the devotion, there is a Share and a Thought Prompt. These two "brain-rattlers" provide food to feast on each day, leading up to Christmas, rather than a steady diet of "gimme."
1: Shares: (text, tweet, post to FB, blogs, Pinterest, or anywhere.)
The plan: to bring Jesus Christ into the daily thoughts of our family and friends. Rather than thinking about the presents they will get or give on Christmas Day, they will focus on the presence of God, through the Share that you will text, email, or post to them.

2: Thinking about Jesus Thought Prompts:
Also: Fun, Thought Prompts can be posted, emailed and/or texted, so our family and friends can brainstorm about ideas that will fill them with Jesus as they wait for Christmas. When they get home, you can discuss the Prompt around the supper table or in a moment together.
 
Also:

Hiawassee - Child of the Meadow
Smoke from Distant Fires
Escape from the Belfry
Length of Days - The Age of Silence

No comments:

Post a Comment