Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Habits of the Heart

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable– if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4: 6-9

Where is your heart? What habits of thought and desire dwell within you? When you drive or do everyday tasks, how do you entertain your mind? For me, I create stories that I work on later, or simply enjoy them for their brief moment in my day.

If you tend to argue with your spouse, co-worker or boss in the quiet moments of your mind, as you travel and work, you are wasting good planning time. You are also robbing yourself of energy and you’re creating a tense body. Why? How does that benefit you?

Develop habits of positive thinking. I never put myself down. I say, "I don’t let other people talk to me like that and I’m sure not going to do it to myself." Learn from your mistakes but don’t make them evidence of your character. Whatever you did that didn’t work, is just a possibility you have ruled out. Move on and learn another lesson.

Do not develop a habit of anxious thinking. Trust in God to lead you and love you though all the times of your life. When you hear anxious, obsessive thoughts rattling around in your head, drown them out with hymns and songs of praise, prayers and joyous fellowship with the Lord. Put away anger and learn to love the Lord. Let us pray:

"Dear Lord and father of mankind, I stand in your presence as do the angels in your heavenly kingdom. You are holy and your name is sacred. I ask that your kingdom no longer be far off. May it dwell within me and I in it, just as you are in me and I in you. In your kingdom, I can find rest and peace of heart. Forgive me when I repeat words of complaint and criticism toward your children, including me. I give myself, my thoughts, and my plans over to you, Father. I want to step out into a whole new world where you are both King and my loving father. Thank you for all of your blessings. In the name of Jesus, my Savior and the Lord whom I follow, I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine." Copyright 2014 Doris Gaines Rapp - Posted 10/5/14 for Monday 10/6/14

Waiting for Jesus in a Can’t Wait World - Advent 2014, is now available at www.amazon.com, http://www.cokesbury.com, www.cokesbury.com, www.barnesandnoble.com and others.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment