Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Friday, February 24, 2012

RIGHT HEART - LEFT FOOT

Romans 7:15 "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." NIV ( 1984)

"Come on. You know I didn’t mean it." Why do I sometimes manage to say what I don’t mean? That seems to be especially true of interactions with adult children. My cousin Claudia gave wise instruction on giving thirty-something kids advice. It could apply to many others.

- When listening to your adult’s plans for themselves and their families, you should be like the bobble head in the back of the car window. Engage your head but not your mouth. Move the chin up and down while maintaining good eye contact to show that you’re listening.

- As they interject something that seems important to you and/or to them, just say "Ah."

- Then, when they have completed their reiteration of their plan, say, "Keep me posted."

Your heart is right but some people never seem to hear the soul, just the mouth. If you smile and use the three-point plan above, you may avoid sticking your left foot in your mouth. The left foot is the closest from the heart.

During Lent, we talked about giving something up. How about giving up being right? Sometimes, you can be right or you can be loving. That doesn’t mean you should lie to people and watch them make serious mistakes. It means we really only know what’s best for us, not for others.

Give advice when asked, then don’t expect them to take it. Just allow your comments to be one of many suggestions. Try giving up being right for Lent. Let us pray:

"God in Heaven and Lord of my life, I praise your Holy name. Open my heart and make a home in my soul that I may know you and serve you. I ask this day that you soften me so that I don’t have to be right, just willing. May I treat your children like the blessed ones they are. Forgive me when I insist on my way, for the only way to Glory, is your Way. Give me insight into knowing what to say when it’s time to talk and when the time of silence is more blessed. In the name of your son, Jesus, my Lord and Savior, I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."
Copyright 2012 Doris Gaines Rapp

Please pass this link to a friend.

Also: http://www.lengthofdays2112.blogspot.com

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/DorisRapp-1207656-length-ofdays-the-age-silence/

No comments:

Post a Comment