Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Sunday, January 22, 2012

I'M QUITTING!

“I am not taking this any longer! I am quitting my job and looking for a new one!” I know that today’s economy may not permit the luxury of quitting your job. If you are fortunate enough to have one, perhaps you need to hold on to it. But, to quit, then look for a new job, is reckless. I know that you come home tired from the battle of the day. The boss blew up at you and you either yelled back or stifled the scream and felt angry inside any way. Is your boss or co-worker angry all of the time? If they are and that makes your work day impossible, that phrase, “There goes the boss being the boss again,” will come in handy. Communicate with them in writing so you can refer back to the “memo of last Friday.” They are less likely to change the rules or try to change what they told you, if you have it in writing. Stay calm and relaxed. The boss is ranting; you are not. As a way of humanizing them, validate their heavy work load. If you are caring, they may feel appreciated for the first time. Most important, don’t borrow their anger! Keep the emotional distance between you clear. Remember, again, “Their anger is not about you. It’s about them.” Be consistently cheerful, hardworking and helpful. But, don’t let them push their work off on you. Smile and say something like, “I know you are swamped today. I am too. I know you can do it. You are good at organizing your time. You’re excellent at your job.” Anger can spread like a wildfire but it doesn’t have to. If you don’t add more kindling, the fire will die. And, your boss’s tirade is their way of dealing with their job. If you don’t play the game, “Let’s you and I yell and complain for a while,” the game will fizzle out. Make sure you don’t approach them from the Parent point of you (as in Transactional Analysis). Approach them from the Adult position: nurturing, realistic, responsible, caring, and calm. Let God help you control your temper, through Prayer Therapy, so you can put out some fires around the office. Remember, (1) pray the prayer printed below three times a day. (2) Wait at the end of the prayer for a sense of God’s presence. (3) Go about the remainder of the day knowing that God has heard your prayer. Let us pray: “God of Love and Life, holy and precious is your name. I ask that you fill me with your holy presence that the Kingdom of God may come and include even me. Today is the day, Father, when I lay my anger at your feet. Cast that anger as far from me as the East is from the West and never let it return. Forgive me for not trusting you before with my anger and may I forgive others of their anger as you have forgiven me. Lead me away from things that provoke me and place me within your open arms. In the name of your son, Jesus, the Prince of the Peace I seek, I pray. Amen” Doris Copyright 2012 Doris Gaines Rapp “God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine.” Please, pass this link on to friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment