Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Thursday, March 22, 2012

SHEPHERD THE CHILDREN

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11 (NIV)

"Joe, go find Billy," Grandma Kime had given the German shepherd and collie mix his order.

Aunt Ruth Miller started up the alley and Grandma hurried down the highway toward Elkhart. Grandma was worried. Both four-year-old Billy and his new, red tricycle were missing.

A while later, ahead of her, along the side of Route 33, little Billy came pedaling along. The dog, Joe, was shepherding him like a stray lamb. Joe walked beside the little boy, between the tricycle and the road, constantly nudging him farther to the side.

A few years later, Joe put his life on the line for his family, his nation as a war dog. His medals for bravery were mailed home, but he never returned.

Jesus, the Good Shepherd, nudges us along the way. As we do the father’s will, Jesus walks between us and the dangers of the highway. He protects our soul from the darkness around us and keeps us in the Light.

Parents who protect their children from premature experience with the world and bring them up in the way of the Lord, are often ridiculed. They are told that society is better able to parent them. They are wrong.

The greatest task anyone is given, regardless of their occupation, their influence, their education and degrees, or their wealth, is to shepherd their children. Family is everything. Children are the beginning and building blocks of Life. Living for God, as shepherd of your children and mentor of other children around you, is what life is all about. Let us pray:

"Father God, author, creator, and sustainer of Life, uttering your name changes the world. May I hold your name in reverence, so that I may be used by you to shepherd my little acre of Life. Father, some of us have forgotten your children, which is the same as forgetting you, for they are life developing, as you are Life developing. I ask that I may see the children around me, that I may hear when they speak and that I may sooth them when they cry. May my words be stories of you, the very lessons of life that they will need to shepherd their corner of your meadow. Forgive me when I am too busy and don’t gather the children into the love I share with you. Guide me in a holy balance, serving you and shepherding them. In the name of the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."
Copyright 2012 Doris Gaines Rapp

Read more about Grandma and Grandpa Kime at http://www.lengthofdays2112.blogspot.com, second from top.

Also: www.directbuybooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment