Now Available

Length of Days - Search for Freedom

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

WHAT ARE YOU CALLED?

He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, "You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas" (which is translated Peter). John 1:42

Jesus changed Simon’s name to Cephas which is Aramaic for Peter. In Greek, Peter means petros, or stone. Remember, later Jesus said, upon this rock I will build my church.

Names were very important in the time of Jesus. Their name identified their linage and what others expected of them. In early Europe, a person’s surname usually named their career or job. John Baker was a baker and Mr. Tailor was a tailor. In the case of Simon, Jesus called him his solid rock.

What would Jesus re-name you or me? We have no idea what our future will be and what part we might play in service to God. It is said, "The only predictor of the future, is the past." If you were to choose one word that defines you, what would it be? Is it pleasing to God? Would He have given you that name or is it only a self-serving descriptor?

If I were able to give you a blessing, it would be that you know yourself so well you can be described in one word and that word comes from the heart of God, who knows you even better.

Let us pray:

"Name above all names, Glorious Lord, I humbly bow in your presence. Come Sweet Love and let me live in your world and may your Word come alive in me. I ask that you take my life and claim it for your own, renaming me whatever is your will. I would rather be called Sweeper and gather up the crumbs from under your table than to not be included at the Banquet of Joy. Forgive me when think I must do something great in order to serve you. Every job in the kingdom is equal to the next. While I know that, my earth-bound heart forgets. I love you Lord, call me anything . . . just call me unto yourself. In the name of Jesus Christ, your son and my Lord, I pray. Amen"

Doris
"God gives us stories that testify to His love. Let me tell you mine."Copyright 2012 Doris Gaines Rapp
Please pass this link to a friend.

Also: http://www.lengthofdays2112.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment